1.4 - Writing Equations from Word Problems
Write an equation for each description. Let x = a number. Do not solve.
1) 4 times a number is 16
2) A number minus 11 is 12 .
3) times a number plus 6 is 51
4) 3 times the sum of of a number and 8
Write an equation and solve to answer each question below.
5) Jan's age is 3 years less than twice Tritt's age. The sum of their ages is 30. Find their ages.
6) Jan's Age:
7) Tritt's age:
8) Iris charges a fee for her consulting services plus an hourly rate that is 1 times her fee. On a 7-hour job, Iris charged $470. What is her fee and her hourly rate?
9) The fee is:
10) Her hourly rate is:
11) When angles are complementary, the sum of their measures is 90 degrees. Two complementary
angles have measures of 2-10 degrees and 3-10 degrees. Find the measures of each angle.
12) Angle 1:
13) Angle 2:
14) Bill wants to rent a car. Rental Company A charges $35 per day plus $0.10 per mile driven. Rental
Company B charges $25 per day plus $0.15 per mile driven. After how many miles driven will the
price charged by each company be the same?
15) Katie, Elizabeth, and Siobhan volunteer at the hospital. In a week, Katie volunteers 3 hours more
than Elizabeth does and Siobhan volunteers 1 hour less than Elizabeth. Over 3 weeks, the number
of hours Katie volunteers is equal to the sum of Elizabeth's and Siobhan's volunteer hours in 3
weeks. Complete the table to find out how many hours each person volunteers each week.
16) Katie's hours per week:
17) Elizabeth's hours per week:
18) Siobhan's hours per week: