Applications of Similarity
This Geometry assignment contains 10 questions where students focus on similar figures. These exercises provide practice for Similarity, Right Triangles, and Trigonometry.
1) A 6-foot tall baby giraffe casts a shadow that is 8 feet long. If an adult giraffe standing beside the baby casts a 20-foot shadow, how tall is the adult giraffe?
2) A scale model of a submarine has a scale of 5 cm: 3 m. If the model submarine is 20 cm long, how long is the real submarine? Write your answer in meters.
3) A scale model of a house has a scale of 2 in: 1 ft. If the real house is 16 feet tall, how tall is the model house? Write your answer in inches.
4) On a map, two cities are 10.5 inches apart. The scale of the map is 0.5 inches: 6 miles. What is the actual distance between the towns in miles?
5) On an architect's blueprint, the front of a building is 22 inches. The scale of the blueprint 1 inch: 3 feet. How wide will the front of the actual building be (in feet)?
6) A cube has sides of length 5 cm. Find the side length of a similar cube which has volume 15.625 times the volume of the first cube.
7) Two similar rectangular prisms have side lengths in the ratio . If the smaller prism has a volume of 40 cubic inches, what is the volume of the larger prism?
8) The ratio of the corresponding heights of two similar cans of tomato sauce is . If the larger can has a surface area of 75 square inches, what is the surface area of the smaller can?
9) The ratio of the volumes of two similar square pyramids is . If the height of the smaller pyramid is 12 feet, what is the height of the larger pyramid?
10) The radius of Jupiter is 11.2 times the radius of Earth. How many times greater is the surface area of Jupiter than the surface area of Earth?