1) Lin is playing hand ball and wants the ball to bounce off wall and land at . Where on the wall should she aim if she's standing at point ?
7.8 feet away from point
13.3 feet away from point
Anywhere along the wall since all of the triangles will be similar
2) You want to make a bank shot. Sketch the path of the cue ball so it will bounce off of the bottom side and knock the yellow stripe 9 ball into the top middle pocket.
3) How can you check to see if your bank shot works?
Mai is playing a game with a class of second graders. Mai knows she is exactly 120 inches from the mirror on the floor. She has students stand so that she can just see the top of their heads and then guesses their heights. The students are amazed!
4) What is the height, , of the student?
5) How is Mai so accurate?
6) In the right triangles shown, the measure of angle is the same as the measure of angle . What is the length of side ?
7) In right triangle , angle is a right angle, , and . What is the length of ?
Complete this proof of the Pythagorean Theorem, using items from the Bank of Expressions and Equations below to fill in the blanks.
can be rewritten as and can be written as . So, . By factoring, . We know that . So, .
Bank of Expressions and Equations: , , , , , , ,
8) Blank 1
9) Blank 2
10) Blank 3
11) Blank 4
12) Blank 5
13) Blank 6
14) In right triangle , altitude with length is drawn to its hypotenuse. We also know and . What is the length of ?
Match each vocabulary term with its definition. Write the number of the corresponding definition in the answer box.
15) Scale Drawing
16) Scale Factor
18) Similar Figures
19) Angle-Angle Similarity Theorem
Clare and Diego are discussing the quadrilaterals. Clare thinks the quadrilaterals are similar because the side lengths are proportional. Diego thinks they need more information to know for sure if they are similar.
20) Which one is correct?
21) Explain your reasoning.