Building Quadratic Functions to Describe Situations (Part 2)
1) The height of a diver above the water, is given by , where is time measured in seconds and is measured in meters. Select statements that are true about the situation. Write each corresponding letter in the answer box and separate letters with commas.
a) The diver begins 5 meters above the water.
b) The diver begins 3 meters above the water.
c) The function has 1 zero that makes sense in this situation.
d) The function has 2 zeros that make sense in this situation.
e) The graph that represents starts at the origin and curves upward.
f) The diver begins at the same height as the water level.
The height of a baseball, in feet, is modeled by the function given by the equation . The graph of the function is shown.
2) About when does the baseball reach its maximum height?
3) About how high is the maximum height of the baseball?
4) About when does the ball hit the ground?
Two rocks are launched straight up in the air. The height of Rock A is given by the function , where . The height of Rock B is given by , where . In both functions, is time measured in seconds and height is measured in feet.
5) Determine which rock hits the ground first.
6) Explain how you know.
Each expression represents an object’s distance from the ground in meters as a function of time,, in seconds.
7) Which object was launched with the greatest vertical speed?
8) Which object was launched from the greatest height?
Tyler is building a pen for his rabbit on the side of the garage. He needs to fence in three sides and wants to use 24 ft of fencing.
Determine the area for these possible lengths and widths.
9) Length (ft) = 8, Widths (ft) = 8, Area (ft) =
10) Length (ft) = 10, Widths (ft) = 7, Area (ft) =
11) Length (ft) = 12, Widths (ft) = 6, Area (ft) =
12) Length (ft) = 14, Widths (ft) = 5, Area (ft) =
13) Length (ft) = 16, Widths (ft) = 4, Area (ft) =
14) Which length and width combination should Tyler choose to give his rabbit the most room?
Here is a pattern of dots.
15) What is the total number of dots in Step 0?
16) What is the total number of dots in Step 1?
17) What is the total number of dots in Step 2?
18) What is the total number of dots in Step 3?
19) How many dots will there be in Step 10?
20) How many dots will there be in Step ?
The function is defined by and the function is defined by .
21) Find the value of when is 4.
22) Find the value of when is 5.
23) Find the value of when is 6.
24) Find the value of when is 4.
25) Find the value of when is 5.
26) Find the value of when is 6.
27) Will the values of always be greater than the values of ?
28) Explain how you know.
Han accidentally drops his water bottle from the balcony of his apartment building. The equation gives the distance from the ground,, in meters after seconds.
Find given values for .
34) Plot the data on the coordinate plane.
35) Is the water bottle falling at a constant speed?
36) Explain how you know.
The graph shows how much insulin, in micrograms (mcg), is in a patient's body after receiving an injection.
37) Write an equation giving the number of mcg of insulin,, in the patient's body hours after receiving the injection.
38) After 3 hours, will the patient still have at least 10 mcg of insulin in their body?
39) Explain how you know.