Calculating Measures of Center and Variability
The data set represents the number of errors on a typing test.
5, 6, 8, 8, 9, 9, 10, 10, 10, 12
1) What is the median?
2) Interpret this value in the situation.
3) What is the IQR?
The data set represents the heights, in centimeters, of ten model bridges made for an engineering competition.
13, 14, 14, 16, 16, 16, 16, 18, 18, 19
4) What is the mean?
5) What is the MAD?
6) Describe the shape of the distribution shown in the dot plot. The dot plot displays the golf scores from a golf tournament.
7) The dot plot shows the weight, in grams, of several different rocks. Select the terms that describe the shape of the distribution. Write each corresponding letter in the answer box and separate letters with commas.
a) bell-shaped b) bimodal c) skewed d) symmetric e) uniform
The dot plot represents the distribution of wages earned during a one-week period by 12 college students.
8) What is the mean?
9) Interpret this value based on the situation.
10) What is the median?
11) Interpret this value based on the situation.
12) Would a box plot of the same data have allowed you to find both the mean and the median?
13) The box plot displays the temperature of saunas in degrees Fahrenheit. What is the median?