Senior User experience designer
Bakpax uses AI to read handwriting and grade assignments. We save teachers the time and trouble of grading, and give students instant feedback to increase their engagement. We can convert teachers’ handwritten content to formatted digital text that can be remixed and shared with other teachers.
You’d love to help teachers teach and students learn. You believe education provides hope and opportunity. It changes lives. You’ve probably experienced the transformational power of education in your own life. And you’ve probably wondered that the fundamental technologies of education — the classroom, the chalkboard, the textbook — are all hundreds, even thousands, of years old. Information technology has been transforming the world for thirty years — where are the breakthrough technologies for learning?
You want to work with a team of people who get it. They’ve got a great product strategy and also a great go-to-market strategy. They’ve got deep experience, but they’re more excited than ever about making things. You want to work with people who are humble, but confident in what they’re doing and driven to do it well. You communicate clearly, succinctly, and amiably, and value others who do likewise. You reflect and learn from your successes and failures. You’re not afraid of failure, because sometimes it’s the only way to get better, and you’re not afraid to do what it takes to get better. You want to work with incredible engineers — who don’t need to “put their product hats on” because they’re always thinking about the product. You listen and you watch. You put yourself in the position of others.
You crave a work environment where you can be a whole person. You want time and flexibility to be yourself: to go on a walk, take care of a loved on, go to the doctor, and feel supported by your coworkers. And you want to support them so that they can live good lives too.
You are awesome at what you do and you could work anywhere. But maybe you’ve come to realize that you only have so many years on this earth to leave your mark. And where better to leave it than in education? Education determines the flow rate of human progress in all endeavors. It’s the ultimate Archimedes’ lever.
If you’re reading this and considering this job, we can assume you are incredibly, incredibly lucky, because it means you have marketable skills that pay very well. You have a career you love. You can decide where you want to work. And you want to work somewhere that matters.
We are currently accepting for candidates from all countries in the timezones PST (UTC-8) to BRT (UTC-3).
- A desire to help teachers teach and students learn.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Strong sense of agency & ownership.
- Knowledge of qualitative and quantitative research methods.
- Experience launching multiple direct-to-consumer products or features.
- 5+ years product management or product design or user experience design experience.
- Pragmatism — pixel perfect begins with a mess and some user complaints.
Nice to haves:
- Worked for a very early stage startup (you know how to get things going from scratch).
- Eye for design
- UI Experience
- Worked in education
More about the job:
- Money - we will pay you
- Equity - it's early stage so it's a good amount
- Diversity - Diversity makes us stronger. We value inclusion and celebrate our differences!
- Remote - we work remotely. This is nice, and, like anything, has its drawbacks. We're committed to helping each other work remotely while building a strong culture. We’ll get together in person from time to time to have fun together, hone our communication skills and strategies, and plan.
- Healthcare - our government does not provide it, so we will.
- Be a hero to your teacher family members & friends - Seriously. If we can build this it will really be helpful.
Come work with us.
To apply please email your resume, LinkedIn account, or personal website, along with a brief description of why you're interested in joining Bakpax to firstname.lastname@example.org.